Pages

Oil Demonstration 2

I was asked by the Dublin Artist's Society to do an oil painting demonstration. They are always difficult things to do for a number of reasons: You are working to a time limit in an unfamiliar environment while trying to keep a dialogue going to a group of people, answer questions and paint at the same time. Because the demonstration was scheduled to be indoors I decided to take along one of my sketchbooks, in this case one from my time in France. I always think it interesting to show how an image created in one medium can be transposed into another, it adds an additional dimension to the demonstration  and
illustrates how sketchbooks can be a source of subject matter over many years. The sketch, a watercolour, shown here below, was produced in an A4 Sketchbook on cartridge paper and is of a farm in the Tarn et Garonne region of France. The farm was set in a very deep gorge in winter and the background is made up mostly of trees clinging to the side of the gorge with the sun reflecting on the dead leaves still cling to them.
The second image from the top is the painting as it was when I finished the demonstration, there was not much left to do. I had painted on a canvas which I had pre-prepared with an earth coloured background and this can clearly be seen in the top right hand corner and at various points throughout the painting. I took the painting home and the following morning, while it was still wet, set it up on an easel in my studio. I like to work on oil paintings while they are wet, I like to push the paint around and feel the tactile nature of the medium. I finished off the edges, softened the patch of sky in the top left hand corner, toned down the background between the trees and defined them a little. I added a few touches to the foreground and that was it. I liked the spontaneity of the painting as it was and the almost abstract treatment of the trees in the background. The finished painting can be seen in the image at the top.
Post published by Tomas King 20 - 09 - 2013      


No comments: