Pages

Norfolk Sketchbook


From my Sketchbooks. No 2
Following on from previous posts relating to my sketchbooks: The Sketchbook and From my Sketchbooks No 1 I have featured here some of the images from my Norfolk sketchbook. The flat, marshy landscape of Norfolk and Suffolk forming part of East Anglia in England is an area that has been much loved by artists through the ages. John Constable, Edward Bawden, John Sell Cotman, Elizabeth Frink, Roger Fry, Gainsborough, Rowland Hilder, Agustus John, Henry Moore, Alfred Munnings, John Piper, Pissaro, Edward Seago, Stanley Spencer and Philip Wilson Steer are just a few of the names among the many who have enjoyed and found inspiration in this place.
This is an area of big skies, a varied and unspoiled landscape, distinctive villages and an architectural style of its own. For four years I followed the lanes and coastline of Norfolk and ventured into Suffolk with my paints, easel and sketchbook and found in its quiet beauty all the reasons why so many had gone this way before me. I have included here a few of the images of Norfolk to give a flavour of the place, there are many more. They were painted in an A4 landscape sketchbook by Cornelissen & Son on cartridge paper and have been a fountain of material for paintings for many years.
 
 











Post Published by Tomas King 26-03-2013

No comments: