Pages

This shelf unit sits on my desk and has become an eclectic mix of the paraphernalia of my working day, together with some of the things I like to have around me.

The driftwood on the top was found by my wife on the river Aveyron and looks like a prehistoric bird. The top shelf contains cards from left to right: Mary Grow, a friend and author, who works for the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation in Wisconsin, America; Angie Lewin card from my daughter in Australia, and a detail from one of my Fantasia paintings. The tile was bought from a brocante in France and is by Longwy, a pottery founded at the end of the 17th Century in a Carmelite convent in the Meurthe et Moselle region of France. The brass letter ‘K’ was purchased from a vide grenier (attic sale) for 1 euro.

Second shelf left to right: A card from a design by Charles Rennie Macintosh - I was privileged to work in one of his buildings in the 1960’s and have been a fan ever since. A card by Mary Fedden R.A.,a photograph taken at my first exhibition in Wexford, Ireland with myself, my cousin Jim Doolan (also a painter) and Tony Robinson, a director of the gallery who has recently established the Wexford Plein Air Festival. The last card is by Matisse, The Pink Nude. Behind is a small part of the 200 CD’s I have containing images of my paintings and designs.

The third shelf contains some of my own cards and designs together with a card of a Norfolk Turkey, a grey stone from Greystones, to remind me of many happy trips to the seaside as a child in Dublin, and a tea caddy purchased from another vide grenier for 1 euro. Behind the old tea caddy is a card by Jean-Marc Richel, artist, one of the first friends I made in France and now living in America.

The bottom shelf contains amongst other things - one of my pochette designs, an invitation to The Ulster Watercolour Society and a card by Maija Isola.
Posted by Tom King 1st June 09

No comments: